Sunday, January 22, 2012

4 little perks in Star Wars The Old Republic that have me sighing with relief.




 So sorry, I need my space.

Inventory, Bag Space, Bank, Cargo, Vault or whatever you call it, in an MMO’s it is prime real estate.  I have agonized over selling or deleting items from my bags because I just didn’t have the room to hold onto them. The developers at Bioware seem to have really grasped the importance of this. There are separate sections for:
  • Currency
  • Mission or quest items,
  • Your satchel that you carry with you
  • Cargos hold on your ship that you can access in any major city.
  • Guild banks haven’t been implemented yet but I hear “soon”
 I am positively giddy when I realized mission items went into a different tab and were not taking up bag space in my normal bag. When I need to collect 20 of those and 5 of those and 4 of those, I still have space left in my bag for my gathering and normal looting.



Buddies, pals, friends, comrades, Sidekicks

Companions are amazing. I currently have 2; I am a level 20 and have not acquired my third companion yet. I am excited about the possibilities. My character is a Chiss Bounty Hunter; her first companion is Mako. She is similar to a smuggler; she knows her way around a pistol and will heal you and any party members within range. She is also the main co-host to your storyline.
I have 2V-R8 also, he is a droid and a bit over zealous at his job. He’s not much of a fighter so I keep him on the ship to run errands and keep the place clean. 
Mako’s not much of a pick up after herself kind of girl. Having Mako help me is fun. Have you ever been hanging around in a video game with two of you friends wanting to run an instance or a flashpoint? Just say no to PuGs (Pick up Groups), summon a companion and go. I’ve played with some random people where I though an AI could do a hell of a lot better then this guy.
Also, If you are out in the middle of an area completing missions and that dreaded red text appears on your screen. “Inventory is full” Ugh, in many other games it meant walking to the nearest town or outpost, finding a vendor then heading back into the trenches. A frustrating situation for a beginning level player who finds everything she has killed is back and she must start over. But! Not anymore, your first companion joins your team about level 8 and they have a sell gray items option. They will take all the gray items in your bag & vendor them for you. How nice you are, thank you.




An overflow of good converts to bad. - William Shakespeare
You can be bad.  Not, my side thinks you’re wrong and your side thinks I’m a traitor.   I mean really, really bad. I’m a nice person in real life. Sometimes I get upset or angry but mostly I just want to talk about the problem we are having. You tell me what you want, I’ll tell you what I want and we can start compromising from there.
I follow the rules of the society I live in. I don’t speed, I do my job to the best of my ability, I don’t steal and I always pay my taxes. My mother taught me well.  At the end of the day, I look forward to shooting a Republic Commander in the face, just because he was there. I yearn to break all the rules I know I’m not supposed to break. Breaking the rules in a virtual setting can be a therapeutic stress relief for a person. 




Delegating - I don’t want to, so you have to.
Crafting in Star Wars has evolved into a situation I never thought possible.
I have three crafting skills. A main skill where I make something like medical packs, armor, or weaponry and two gathering skills.
The crazy thing is, I don’t have to do any of them. I delegate to my eager crew who stands at the ready to hunt some biological samples, scavenge scrap metal or do some underworld trading on my behalf. 




I am looking forward to finding more and more aspects of The Old Republic to talk about. What is your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment